Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Powerplay,or,how to kill affection.

[11:38:43] Rhanite: Aahaa! The greek I was just looking for
[11:39:02] Rhanite: Any news on the Amsterdam deal, beyond it being awesome?
[11:41:56] Fay: Morning Elan ^^ And not yet no,got the call yesterday afternoon,waiting for the recruiter to contact me again. She said she'd do so today at some point to let me know of the details.
[11:42:08] Rhanite: Sweet!
[11:42:26] Fay: But my mind's already....racing,and my stomach every time I think about it turns into a knot :P
[11:42:33] Rhanite: Heehee
[11:43:24] Fay: It's bloody hard work to not overthink in situations like this I'm telling ya!
[11:43:30] Rhanite: Innit?
[11:44:44] Rhanite: Well! Perhaps you'll indulge me then? While I wait for my next handful of work to be available (one of the animators is fixing some images for me to base plots off of), I'm setting to work on describing one of the faiths for 12 Cities - since one of the players decided to become a priest and thus, I have to figure out the trials to do so
[11:45:45] Rhanite: And to figure out the trials, I need to know the faith, its tenets and dogma, its stories and get into how it works... so naturally, what we need is to know the god - or goddess as it where. 'Tis Libra, Goddess of death and oceans that needs to be explored
[11:47:03] Fay: oh dear God,this is gonna be huge Elan :P
[11:47:06] Rhanite: An offer to provide a distraction anyway, in this time of waiting hehe
[11:47:08] Rhanite: Innit?
[11:47:56] Rhanite: I can come up with the stories, sure, but having some fresh eyes and a brain with a different would be invaluable. 'specially since Faith is such a psychological thing and all
[11:48:14] Fay: (you're so coming to visit if Amsterdam does happen after all,and that's a threat :P )
[11:48:35] Rhanite: (oookay! Always wanted to see Amsterdam, so hells yeah)
[11:49:14] Fay: a brain with a different...?
[11:49:29] Fay: meh doesn't matter
[11:49:31] Fay: okay
[11:49:38] Rhanite: different take
[11:49:41] Fay: lemme get ready though,cause I literally just got out of bed
[11:49:49] Fay: running to the balcony to save my clothes from rain-again
[11:50:08] Rhanite: No rush, gimme a poke when time allows. I'll dawdle on with this other work in the meantime
[12:11:59] Rhanite: Save the clothes! Also, this is why it is silly to hang clothes outside
[12:12:32] Rhanite: though I guess... with a mediterranean climate, you generally would ahve like... less rain and stuff
[12:14:28] Fay: Yeah,we're kinda spoiled when it comes to the climate alright :P
[12:14:30] Fay: [11:48] Rhanite:

<<< (oookay! Always wanted to see Amsterdam, so hells yeah)
[12:15:28] Fay: You're just as bad as my friends! Every time I tell them "ooh,I'm after this job in XX place but that one on YY place as well,which one do you think I should go after?" they go : "well,we haven't been to YY yet so go there!"
[12:15:41] Fay: GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT PPL! ARGH!
[12:16:32] Rhanite: Wait what? You specifically ordered me to amsterdam. You don't get to then nark at me for stating I've never visited there and thus am interested in following previously stated order, woman!
[12:17:31] Rhanite: You'll notice you didn't ask my opinion on what place to choose :P
[12:18:18] Fay: Oh alright,you have a point *grumlbe,mumble,tail between legs,goes to have breakfast and lose with dignity. Well...some dignity*
[12:18:39] Rhanite: This is a new experience!
[12:19:32] Rhanite: Haha! Your dane enjoys this fun! Pray tell, how else may we experience it?
[12:19:42] Fay: Don't push it :P
[12:19:46] Fay: Food!
[12:19:47] Fay: brb
[12:19:57] Rhanite: y'come back now, y'hear?!
[12:53:38] Rhanite: Greeks spend a very long time eating, yo
[12:53:50] Fay: I'm here!
[12:54:02] Fay: got carried away looking at properties around Amsterdam lol
[12:54:27] Rhanite: I kid :P that's wholly understandable and quite relevant
[12:55:06] Fay: let me check out this one flat and then all yours!
[12:55:22] Rhanite: Promises promises
[12:57:02] Fay: *salutes* ready and able,Sir!
[12:57:16] Fay: oh wait I gotta check out this other thing...
[12:57:17] Fay: :P
[12:57:46] Rhanite: If so is fine - can pop down and find some lunch then ^^ catch you back here in a short while or somesuch
[12:58:29] Rhanite: Back soon!
[12:58:31] Fay: Typically male. As soon as -I-'m ready,he goes!
[12:58:37] Rhanite: Heeh
[13:39:50] Rhanite: And I'm back!
[13:40:09] Fay: Welcome back :) Had a good lunch? ^
[13:40:32] Rhanite: Oh yeah, delicious sandwich
[13:40:44] Fay: gut gut
[13:40:49] Rhanite: omnomnom
[13:40:50] Rhanite: So!
[13:41:09] Fay: So!
[13:41:32] Fay: lemme dig out that piece of yours to look at Libra again
[13:41:43] Fay: remember her pretty well but helps
[13:42:02] Rhanite: Righty. I'd thought to start way back at the start, build her up more fully based on the established ideas
[13:42:31] Rhanite: So while you dig, I'mma start typing up some of the thoughts and ideas I've been pondering to string this together
[13:43:31] Fay: you don't have it up on FA?
[13:43:36] Rhanite: I do not
[13:43:36] Fay: i l go look on DA
[13:43:40] Rhanite: dont have it there either
[13:43:52] Rhanite: Don't have my unfinished ideas posted anywhere :P
[13:43:53] Fay: but i remember seeing it somewhereeeeeee
[13:43:57] Fay: no no i mean
[13:44:08] Fay: the depiction of all the deities
[13:44:14] Rhanite: Ohhh, that
[13:44:15] Fay: oh what was the name
[13:44:29] Rhanite: lemme find it for ya
[13:45:28] Fay: the empyreans! that was the name!
[13:45:29] Rhanite: http://d.facdn.net/art/heavymetalmirage/1302342285.heavymetalmirage_empyreans.png
[13:45:31] Rhanite: Thar
[13:45:48] Rhanite: The whole thing has changed and been revised abit, but its still a good visual aid
[13:46:33] Fay: LIbra-the shrouded lady wasn't she
[13:46:35] Fay: hmmm,I remember this
[13:46:37] Rhanite: indeedy
[13:47:27] Rhanite: So lets look at this from the beginning - get the chan of events that make Libra the deity she is "today"
[13:47:42] Fay: hit meh
[13:51:38] Rhanite: In the timeless days before the Epyrimachia - the terrible war between the gods that fractured the Jewel of the World - Libra was a warrior and a philosopher. She was a paragon of duty who served at her brother Solas' behest, and guarded the divine barque: Empyria. By her sword, the first and only weapon, the laws of Empyria where protected and kept - and as Libra upheld the peace, she contemplated the nature and necessity of duty and the purpose of the weight she carried. These ruminations, now lost, are thought to be the key to a true and everlasting peace.
[13:51:51] Rhanite: (*empyrimachia)
[13:53:58] Rhanite: It is known that in this age, death had no place. Life was eternal, kept under the peace of Libra's blade. There was no strife, no enmity - only harmony and obedience to the laws of the gods
[13:55:06] Rhanite: Thus, there was no underworld. There was no need.
[13:57:05] Rhanite: This changed with the Empyrimachia. Many where the atrocities of this time, but none moreso than when Solas commanded Libra to unsheathe her weapon and wield it - not to uphold the peace, but to defend Empyria from those who would usurp it.
[13:59:25] Rhanite: Obedient, Libra did so - and she struck down Nereus, the god of the Oceans and what lays beneath the waves. As her blow fell, bringing forth the lifeblood of the divine, the sword shattered into a million shards which embedded themselves in the hearts of gods and men. Splinters of cold steel and pain that drive them strife.
[14:00:57] Rhanite: This act horrified Libra. She saw what she had wrought as violence and hatred stained the fracturing world, just as Nereus' blood stained her trembling hands.
[14:02:42] Rhanite: Libra vowed that day that she must serve Empyria in a different capacity. Forever would she work to redeem what she had brought into the world, for she had brought forth death and was death herself.
[14:04:59] Rhanite: She took Nereus' body into her arms and carried him from the field, following the flow of his lifeblood, the seas, as they drained into the cracks of the world. Down, down she brought him until she saw how the waters that should be a part of the world now fell away, consumed by the endless Cimmerian Desert over which Empyria carries the World Jewel.
[14:08:07] Rhanite: From the hilt of her shattered sword, Libra forged a bowl in which the waters could collect - so they no longer would fall into the oblivion of the desert.  From her armor she forged three chains and hung the bowl beneath the world. From herself, she gave her place in Empyria and the World, to breing forth the fount that would bring the waters back to the world once more and complete the circle.
[14:09:59] Rhanite: In this underworld she laid down Nereus and watched him sink to the bottom of the Sea of his Mortality - the mortality she had created. She donned vestments of mourning covered her radiant beauty with bloodstained hands in a flowing veil, to honor the life she had taken.
[14:12:02] Rhanite: And so the Underworld came to be, Libra its eternal protector who guides the dead, reclaiming the shards of her terrible sword and freeing mortal souls from the strife they bring. Thus cleansed, the dead are freed and able to move on.
[14:13:38] Rhanite: As a final act, she took into her care the oceans and waters of the world - shouldering Nereus' domain after she had taken him from it. As she invested of herself into the waters to tie them to the world once more, the waters became inexorable tied to the underworld as well.
[14:14:09] Rhanite: And that - I believe - is the first story of Libra, that depicts how she came to be who she is, and where the underworld comes from.
[14:16:06] Fay: I'll take a moment to state that I adore the pictures you paint. You start describing these worlds and I just...yeah..
[14:16:11] Fay: To the matter at hand.
[14:16:17] Rhanite: ^^
[14:17:35] Rhanite: Here is the music I was listening to while writing it ^^
[14:17:36] Rhanite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3a189vcVc
[14:18:23] Fay: Had questions forming in my mind throughout reading it. Like,why Nereus? Why did he have to die? What was Libra's relationship to Solas that would make her heed him like that? And,is it important to know these things? May be not now,but at a later stage,I think it's details like these that give insight into a character.
[14:18:46] Fay: Libra is motivated by two of the most powerful moticators : guilt and regret.
[14:18:52] Fay: She can't forgive herself for what she did.
[14:19:57] Rhanite: Indeed. To answer your questions: For what seems relevant to Libra right now - Nereus because Solas ordered her to. Obeying Solas because he is her eldest brother and king of the Empyreans, after he tricked and replaced Rhana
[14:24:37] Fay: Mhm,I don't feel that explanation is enough somehow. Unless you're playing on that she was a dutiful warrior,like a soldier,she took an order and never stopped to think if that order was correct or what its...the fel...what's the word! cons...conc...consequences! would be. Or why her brother wanted Nereus eliminated in the first place. She just executed an order. And when she saw what she had done,when she realized...it broke her. Ah,yes,enter remorse,so much more powerful than regret. And guilt...She can't forgive herself. She has to make up for the damage she created,she's may be a little awed at what she was capable of doing as well.
[14:26:11] Fay: She'd go through shock,denial,realization,acceptance
[14:26:31] Fay: but she doesn't move onto forgiveness yet
[14:27:11] Rhanite: Of course. I think that - her following orders and being yes: a soldier who meditates on the meaning of duty as one who upholds peace, and the nature of this... I think that works to create her character
[14:27:46] Fay: ohoooo,I see it!
[14:27:54] Rhanite: It carries with it that the justification, whatever it is, isn't important
[14:28:05] Rhanite: Doing what she did is unforgivable
[14:28:10] Rhanite: No matter the reason
[14:28:35] Rhanite: For someone whose duty it is to uphold the peace, she erred
[14:29:24] Fay: Libra's thoughts and emotions (pay attention cause this is what I'm good at! :P) :
[14:30:32] Rhanite: Rhanite pays attention
[14:37:08] Fay: All this pain...all this destruction..I did this,I brought this onto this world..It was my hand and my hand alone that fed death..No...I was following an order...my brother,my elder,he asked me to do this,I had to,I had to do his bidding,that's what you do,you obey,you don't question! He knows,he knows best,he wouldn't have asked for this if there wasn't a greater good in it,he wouldn't...*takes some more time to look around her in silence,seeing what she did again. Her heart breaks* How could he...nothing is worth this much pain,this much death,nothing. How could he! He knew I had this power in me,this strength to unleash this,that's why he asked me to do it! How could he! He betrayed me,he betrayed all of us,he betrayed life itself! This is... *she pauses,and starts crying,cause she's Libra,she's better than that,she knows that she can't blame somebody else for -her-actions,she realizes her anger should be really directed at herself.Her chest empties,her stomach a pit,the burden of realization slowly creeps in and it's too much,she can't bear it,realization costs,and costs dearly.But she's a deity,she can create,as much as she can destroy.She can do something about this.
[14:37:11] Fay: PHOOOONE
[14:37:13] Fay: AMSTERDAM!
[14:37:18] Rhanite: Go git 'em!
[14:40:10] Fay: Right!
[14:40:17] Fay: I gotta send them a copy of my passport
[14:40:27] Fay: which means,i need to see if my scanner is working
[14:40:33] Rhanite: Kewl ^^ fingers crossed
[14:40:49] Fay: Thanks :D ahm,how does it feel so far? What i wrote i mean?
[14:43:04] Rhanite: Dramatic, quite so. Deities are nothing if not intense like that.
[14:44:42] Fay: :)
[14:45:13] Fay: Can I have a moment to go check the scanner Elan? Emma (the recruiter) asked me to send her my passport scan asap
[14:45:58] Rhanite: No! You belong to- of course you can! This is much more important than spare-time projects :P
[14:46:07] Rhanite: Go do the scanning hehe
[14:46:44] Fay: (hug)
[15:09:24] Fay: This is gonna take a while longer-my own scanner died ages ago,was given this really old one by a friend of my mother's but it's so old not even the manufacturer has drivers for Win7. So I'll have to see if any of my friends has a scanner
[15:09:28] Fay: so,a lil while more
[15:12:51] Rhanite: Righto. Writing up Sel's firt monologue in the meantime
[15:12:55] Rhanite: *first
[15:20:32] Fay: Here's to having friends with practical minds :P Called this friend to ask if she has a scanner,and she goes "no,but I got a digital camera,so I can take a picture of whatever it is you wanna scan and it's sorted!"
[15:20:41] Fay: Fay goes : DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
[15:20:53] Rhanite: *snicker*
[15:21:16] Fay: right,let's try take a pic of my passport ;p
[15:33:55] Rhanite: Ok, so I'm not actually sure if this monologue works - I'd like your thoughts on it when you have a moment.
[15:35:31] Fay: will do once i sort this thing out :)
[15:35:41] Rhanite: Swanky. I'll leave it here for your perusal
[15:35:55] Rhanite: Sel's monologue:
To be on my own terms, unchained and able to follow my own compass – isn’t that a common thing to want?  I tell you what; I think most people want to be free. Nothing to hold you back, nothing to stand in your way – just you and your dreams – with only yourself to blame if you don’t get there.  I don’t think it’s a game beneath it all though, I don’t see that Game that’s supposed to be what chains it all together.  Then, I’m not smart like the cat.  She talks about it and she is very convincing. She obviously knows something, or she wouldn’t be up there now, king of the hill.  For us on the ground it’s different. We can’t win so why play?  Let me be unchained and move as I will. Cut loose, take no responsibility, be naked, act without thought, cut all ties, care for and be cared for by no one, be unbound – aside and alone.
Repeat after me: I want to be free.
[15:55:03] Fay: How strong do you want to make Sel?
[15:57:58] Rhanite: I want to make her "human". Real. So she isn't going to be a paragon of strength. She's confused, scared, wounded and struggling, just like any other person. I mean, she latched on to- and willingly continues to associate with Mira
[15:59:29] Rhanite: She fights it with a veneer of toughness, provokes people to hold up a mirror and make them think as a way of channelling and managing the chaos (poor thing)
[16:00:19] Rhanite: Which of course often comes across as lewd, annoying and/or ditzy
[16:01:26] Rhanite: Curiosity though. What does the monologue reflect, I wonder? It's hard to judge after writing it.
[16:05:49] Fay: She thinks in abslutes,black and white. She's scared,but not enough to give up. She has strength in her,but not enough to go play the game and find a way to be free INSIDE the system. She wants out. She's tired,even a lil angry,and fed up.
[16:06:18] Fay: Made me feel sympathy for her tbh
[16:06:29] Rhanite: Excellent ^^
[16:07:17] Fay: and at the same time I was thinking "you gotta learn how to compromise girl! Getting rid of society isn't the answer,find a way to stay in there AND gain your freedom,right underneath their noses!"
[16:09:07] Rhanite: Which is good, in the right light. It means you have sympathy - but also have an idea of how she can sovle it so... you fabricate hopes for her. So here comes the perspective: based on her nature and her history - do they account for her way of thinking then?
[16:09:54] Rhanite: If they do, then I pose these things work well. If they don't, it makes her annoying and frustrating - since there is one or more holes that make her character incongruent
[16:10:26] Fay: They do,as long as we're talking about Selanine the person and not Selanine the oversexed smut puppet ;p
[16:10:35] Rhanite: Person of course
[16:10:41] Fay: This is a milestone for her
[16:10:56] Fay: one of those times in life where you re evaluate and re calibrate
[16:12:11] Rhanite: Mm, seems like a good point from which to introduce and begin her side of the story - the first catalyst being Mira aquiring a new person to focus her interest on and effectively starting to ignore Sel
[16:13:22] Fay: ouch
[16:13:41] Fay: will she at least help her find her sister?
[16:19:48] Rhanite: Who knows? From Sel's point of view - with Mira basically cold-shouldering and dismissing her, the cat also seems to completely be forgetting her promise to Sel, in favor of her obsession with grooming Obsidian
[16:20:16] Rhanite: (whether it is part of a more intricate plan Sel can't see or not it a different matter)
[16:21:45] Fay: pft
[16:21:49] Fay: i m jealous
[16:22:07] Rhanite: Heeh
[16:25:05] Fay: though,admittingly,Sel couldn't be outta the cat's grasp soon enough
[16:26:28] Rhanite: But she -needs- her... who else can find her sister, and provide that terrifying calm to cling on to, even though its so cold it hurts?
[16:26:33] Rhanite: Rhanite grins
[16:26:37] Fay: Nuh uh.
[16:26:43] Fay: She -thinks- she needs her.
[16:27:09] Rhanite: I love that you argue that point
[16:27:23] Fay: Why?
[16:27:46] Rhanite: You're taking Sel's side, which is very fun ^^
[16:28:26] Fay: And you take Mira's,which is pissing me off :P
[16:28:43] Rhanite: You know me, Devil's advocate to the end
[16:29:18] Fay: And to make a long story short! Sel's better than Mira in a million ways! Mira is just too small,too little for Sel,and if Mira can't see that,then PFT at her! Sel's gonna open her eyes eventually and realize what a ()^&Q(^&Q()^ Mira is!
[16:29:19] Fay: HRMPH!
[16:30:06] Fay: Toying with ppl like that,hrmph!
[16:30:31] Rhanite: Heeh
[16:30:58] Fay: I have this image in my head where Sel has knocked Mira out with a WELL DESERVED punch and has her on the floor,under her hoof,looking at her as if she was the most despicable bug ever existed
[16:31:05] Fay: CONTEMPT
[16:31:10] Fay: what a wonderful emotion
[16:31:38] Rhanite: You know what has to happen now, right?
[16:32:50] Rhanite: Now that you so clearly know you want that? The story has to come close - so close. And then denied. Then let it rise, and deny it again. And then finally - twist. Something unanticipated that changes the playing field completely
[16:34:01] Fay: You're starting to make me think of story tellers as manipulators.
[16:34:24] Fay: And here I was thinking it was people who wanted to make this world a lil better by "teaching".
[16:34:29] Fay: Fay has a sad
[16:34:45] Rhanite: Well, you wouldn't be satisfied if I told you what you wanted to hear. You wouldn't learn anything - worse, you wouldn't reflect.
[16:35:35] Rhanite: Infact, you'd be disappointed, because nothing I can describe can live up to your own imagination -so I should not try to strive for it
[16:36:18] Rhanite: No, as a storyteller I have to make you think and reflect. Give a cautionary tale, provoke emotions in you - make you teach yourself
[16:36:46] Rhanite: Challenge you ^^
[16:37:50] Fay: And here we are,talking about what makes a good story again. So : yes,the guy who wrote Deter is a genius. So's Martin. Those are stories that when you read,you feel for the chars,you re twisting in your chair in anticipation of what's gonna happen,you even skip pages sometimes cause you just can't bear waiting.
[16:37:58] Fay: Wanna take this to a whole new level though?
[16:38:12] Fay: In other words : are you ready?
[16:38:21] Fay: (mwahahahaa! :P )
[16:38:21] Rhanite: Come at me bro?
[16:38:59] Fay: I learned squat from those stories.
[16:39:50] Fay: They sure as hell were fun,entertaining,had me holding the book in my hand and shouting when Eddard was killed,but LEARN from them?
[16:39:56] Fay: No.
[16:40:17] Fay: The books,the storied that had a deep,profound effect on me,were something different.
[16:40:21] Fay: stories*
[16:40:32] Rhanite: Thats your opinion ^^
[16:40:50] Fay: Well...yeah?
[16:41:10] Rhanite: So. Before all this we where actually on a completely different subject
[16:41:31] Rhanite: Though some of these derived thoughts could be relevant to that as well
[16:44:09] Fay: Have you ever read Herman Hesse? Oscar Wilde? Khalil Gibran?
[16:44:40] Fay: The steppen wolf,Sidharta,the portrait of Dorian Gray,De Profundis, The prophet ?
[16:45:24] Rhanite: Dorian Gray yeah, none of the others as of yet
[16:45:44] Fay: kk
[16:47:11] Rhanite: por que?
[16:48:39] Fay: Promise not to call me over dramatic and I'll answer.
[16:48:45] Rhanite: Promise
[16:50:00] Fay: Cause,for me,those were books that when I read them,my inside,my very soul was affected. They had a profound effect on me,they DEFINED me Elan. I'm talking about stories that touch you so deeply cause of their essence,cause of the message,not so much cause of their plot and twist.
[16:50:12] Fay: Not sure how to make you understand what I'm talking about ..
[16:51:00] Fay: I love Tolkien and Martin and Harris and all that,don't get me wrong.
[16:51:14] Fay: But what I'm talking about here is a whole different level.
[16:51:20] Rhanite: Well, could take it on me to read 'em and see what happens
[16:52:45] Rhanite: Though I neither agree nor disagree with you - I don't think its that black and white
[16:52:55] Fay: Fay laughs
[16:53:51] Fay: I don't see how it's black or white,strikes me more as a matter of personal taste and,well,what you want out of the stories you read really
[16:54:13] Rhanite: Its very subjective, yeah, I'll concede to that
[16:54:39] Fay: the laughter wasn't insulting I hope? i just couldnt help thinking about how many more times we ll say that! :D
[16:54:50] Rhanite: Heh, I'm sure
[16:55:28] Rhanite: Allright, so I'm gonna pack up and head homeward. Can  pick up the talk then, if you want?
[16:56:11] Fay: Sure :) I'll go train later,just so you know ^^
[16:56:27] Rhanite: As ya need to
[16:57:18] Rhanite: Catch ya in a bit then