Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Queen Of Cups

Ok, so, I role play.

I’ve RPed for a long time. I started out ages ago with AD & D, and then I discovered PC Role playing games (RPGs), then D&D, and lately MMORPGs.

There exists this haze around RPers, as they are perceived by Non- RPers as nerds, no-lifers, sad, pathetic and other beautiful and nice things.

All I see is judgement.

We humans love to judge. It’s so damn easy. And it makes life simpler, easier to understand, easier to cope with. Categories are safe. And we humans are notorious for craving safety.

“Ahahahaha, you RP, you’re sad!”

“Ahahahah, you don’t RP, you’re sad!”


Bullshit ladies and gentlemen.


Bullshit.


Ask any good psychotherapist about role-play and they’ll go raving. It’s a tool greatly used. It expands your perception and can even have healing effects. What are the mechanisms behind that and why it works I’m too lazy to describe here, get yourself a good book on psychotherapy and look it up if you want. All I’ll say is it’s an advanced mental ability and yes, it does require some skill.

It works.


And ok, I’m not saying “heeeey, start RPing, you’ll be saved!” Of course not. Like any other tool, it’s the user that makes the difference. If what you have in your soul is a pile of crap, then that’s gonna show when you RP as well. The way it does in life sooner or later anyway.


You’ve got no idea what I’m talking about ha?


It doesn’t matter. I started writing these things ‘cause I can’t get out of my head two things that two different people told me while RPing a character I feel is very close to me.


“You’re smart as hell and kind as heaven”.

“Never pass up on a chance for love, no matter how small it is”.


Remember them dear self, remember them.



Hit it Duffy….


Even when you see me frown,
my heart won't let me down,
because I know there's better things to come

And when life gets tough,
I feel I've had enough,
I hold on to a distant star,

I'm thinking about,
all the things,
I'd like to do in my life...

I'm a dreamer,
A distant dreamer,
dreaming for hope from today.

2 comments (+add yours?)

Anonymous said...

Τι χαρά που πετυχαίνω κι άλλους αρπιτζάδες τριγύρω!!! Παίζεις και WoW, σωστά; Εγώ είμαι καθαρή (χεχεχε) ένα χρόνο τώρα, πιο πολύ με CoC και VtM λιώνω (τρελή και ορκισμένη φαν των pen&paper, δεν τα αλλάζω για οποιοδήποτε pc game).
Πάντως αν και τα πράγματα είναι έτσι όπως τα περιγράφεις -people being eager to judge and "choose sides"- στο τέλος τέλος, ο,τι κι αν έχουμε ακούσει, ο,τι κι αν έχουμε πει, ζάχαρη δεν περνάμε με τα ζάρια μας και το RP μας και τη DotA στα διαλείμματα; :P

Φαίη said...

Εχεχε, επιτέλους,κι αναρωτιόμουνα αν υπάρχουν rpgάδες που να έχουν ιστολόγια! Ναι παίζω WoW, ξεκίνησα λίγο πριν τα Χριστούγεννα. Pen & paper έχω να παίξω δύο χρόνια και μού λείπει γαμώτο, είναι άλλη φάση τελείως. Και ναι, ζάχαρη περνάμε όντως μέσα στο geekiness μας, άσ' τους άλλους να κουρεύονται!

Καλώς ήρθες!